Friday, October 28, 2016

Dinner adventures this week.

Pasta with Sausage and Kale
Grilled Skirt Steak with Adobo butter
Kafta, Tzatziki and Tabbouleh
Shrimp and Black Bean Quesadillas
Roasted Squash with ruby chard and green rice
Tacos Al Pastor

Looks like we are not keeping up with this family blog.  Stewart has suggested that I start using it to keep track of recipes that we would like to repeat. We have had two dinners this week from the October/November 2016 edition of Fine Cooking.
Yesterday we had, Pasta with sausage and kale.  This was very good and I served it with a salad.  I cut the kale and pasta in half but increased the amount of sausage just a bit and kept the cheese the same.  Quite simple to make and kale goes really well with pork.  Paired is with a Sangiovese type red wine from Italy.
Tonight we had Grilled skirt steak with adobo butter.  I had the adobo chipotles already open from the Mexican dinner on Saturday with Julia and Noah.  A great quick cooking steak.  Served with baby broccoli, bbq pineapple and baked potato that you can have more of the adobo butter on or I had guacamole and sour cream.  Very nice indeed!

Returning from Canada on Thursday last week, I brought home fresh Lebanese pita so indulged in Tabbouleh, Tzatziki, and Kafta dinner on Friday.  Stewart found the Kafta recipe on Allrecipes.  It was excellent, basically Lebanese hamburgers on a skewer, have to it make again.  The tzatziki was called Chef John's again from allrecipes.  The garlic needed to be cut in half otherwise very tasty.  The tabbouleh is so much work and was better the next day.  I found the parsley to be a bit tough at this time of year and I really needed to chop it finer.

Saturday night we had Julia and Noah for dinner.  Ted was working overtime.  I made a Mexican dinner from Jamie Oliver's Issue 71 of his magazine Jamie.
Started with Shrimp and black bean quesadillas, sans shrimp.  Used the fresh whole wheat tortillas from Central Market.  Noah ate his with just cheese and ate the whole thing.  I really liked the addition of smoked paprika to the shredded cheese, it gave it a nice kick.
I did roasted squash with ruby chard and green rice.  Loved the green rice and squash and the chard was okay but a bit plain.  Lastly did the Taco's al Pastor and that was also really good with pineapple salsa.  The pineapple was a bit unripe so BBQ'd it first and used half the pineapple.  After barbecuing the balance of the pineapple tonight, the salsa would have been much better if it was riper.

On Monday for dinner used the Mexican dinner in basically a burrito bowl, Lining a plate with salad greens and topping with the heated up rice, squash and pork.  Really yummy.
Afraid that I set the bar a bit high this past week!  Have to start planning for the weekend and maybe I will have to start taking pictures!    

No comments: