October 16
th, 2015 was Sangam’s 49
th
Birthday! Our birthday event started on the 9
th. We had 12
participants, 7 from Wales and 5 from Australia. They were a wonderful group of ladies and they
got to do some really cool activities!

I had my first Welcome Ceremony as a staff member. I was
wearing the staff sari, and for most of the evening I had the pleats in the
skirt portion the wrong way. Fortunately, Sailee noticed and helped me fix them
before we took photos, so there is no documented proof!

On October 11
th we celebrated International Day
of the Girl Child with Maher. The participants had planned many activities to
do with the children, but as such things go, we got there to find that Maher
had plans for us. When we arrived the children gave us homemade lays and then
some of the girls gave us a performance. There was a skit about being a girl
and the discriminations they face. I think one of the most powerful lines was
at the beginning when they where talking about aborting girls in utero, because
they are girls. “Everyone loves their mother and wants a girlfriend and wife,
so why do they not want a daughter?” After the skit there were a couple of
dances. After lunch the participants
just had an hour to run activities with the children. They decided it was
simpler to just lead the group in some songs. The kids loved it and in the
loose structure many of us got to make friends. I made a friend with a girl
named Nadina who is probably around 13 or 14. She didn’t speak much English,
but she taught me some Marahti and introduced me to her sister. In the evening
we played Who Wants to be a Sangam Millionaire? and my team won.

The next session I ran was a campfire a few evenings later.
The local staff built the fire for us, and it was pretty tall, so it ended up
feeling more like a bonfire. Although, we had trouble lighting it, as there
wasn’t much kindling. About 40% of the songs we sang in the campfire weren’t in
English. But everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. We sang a few French songs
from Quebec and some songs in Swahili. When we were teaching the first French
song (Rat sur mon toit), everyone was having a lot of trouble understanding us.
The participants from Wales said that it didn’t sound like we were even
speaking French. Then a staff member pointed out that we were speaking Canadian
French, which doesn’t sound like their schoolgirl French. After we explained
what the song meant, I think they were able to piece the song together better.
They did a great job though!
The next day we trialed Passand, which means choice. We ran
4 sessions at Sangam, and offered 4 packages so the participants could go
explore Pune and then let participants choose which activities they wanted to
attend. Most of them went out. I ran a session around the World Thinking Day
2016 Theme (Connect!). I really like the activity package again this year. I
would really recommend taking a peak at it. You could probably get the badge
done in a 1.5 hour meeting.
It is traditional to go to Temple on your birthday here. So
on the 16
th we all walked down the street to the Datta Temple. There
were around 50 of us, so it was quite a group. A priest performed a small
ceremony at the temple. Afterwards we returned and puja was performed to the
foundation and opening stone. Jen (the World Centre Manager) got to break the
coconut and she did it in one hit. Then she read Lady Olave Baden-Powell’s
speech from the opening of Sangam.
In the evening we had our birthday party. We had around 150
people from the community come and we had a big party in the campground. I
worked reception, so I greeted people as they arrived and sold raffle tickets. One
of the girls I met from my visit to Indian families, was at the party and she
was happy to see me. We talked a bit when she came in, and when we closed up
reception I hung out with her at the party. She braided my hair again, and she
did a great job!
The next day was incredibly exhausting as we had our
Community Action Project (CAP) day at Sangam. We had children from 3 of our
different community partners come in and the Tare ran programming for them.
They did a fantastic job, the kids had a great time! We also had UPS employees
volunteering and helping with translation. I think our ratio ended up being
close to 1:1. I was in charge of photography, so mainly I wandered from station
to station and took far too many photos!
Overall, the event was very busy, but tons of fun! We
trialed several things for the 50
th birthday, which I think is going
to be quite an experience!
1 comment:
Having fun for sure.some descriptions made me LOL Love GmR
Post a Comment