My first event was a
group of 25 Australians and 1 New Zealander, doing a tour of all the
World Centers. We were their last Center to visit, many of them
already had visited Sangam and several of them are heavily linked to
Sangam. (The lead had been the World Center Manager at Sangam for
many years). They arrived at 4am on September 26th. Ruth
(the Guest Services Coordinator), Cate, Liz and I were in the
greeting party. It took an hour to settle them into their rooms and
then we headed back to bed. They had a sleep in breakfast, which I
hosted. So I spent all morning in the dining room talking to whoever
came in for breakfast. The event officially started just before
lunch. In the afternoon Liz and I led a neighbourhood walk for the
ladies who hadn’t been to Sangam before. It went quite well.
| At Ishwari |
Typically the
Welcome Ceremony happens the first night of the event. But two of the
guests arrived a day late (due to visa trouble) so we shifted it to
the evening of the 27th.
The 27th
was the 10th and final day of the Ghanesh Festival. On
this day (although some families do it earlier) people carry the
Ghanesh idols down to the river and immerse them into the river. I
had the day off. In the afternoon a group of us went to a Puja’s at
Sailee’s house. Her house is being heavily renovated, so she was
very eager to show us the house. When we were there, they’d just
finished painting the outside of the house, and still had to put in
the plumbing and lighting. Afterwards we were invited to Padma’s
(one of the local ladies who works in the kitchen) for her family’s
Ghanesh Immersion. It started with a ceremony in the house and then
the idol was carried out into the cab of a pick up truck. The boys
were in the back with drums and we walked with the truck down to the
river. There were lots of people at the river. The ceremony was
performed again at the river, sweets were passed out and then the
idol was passed to a swimmer who swam him out, dipped him in the
water and then dropped him. While we were at the river, there were a
lot of people who wanted to talk to us. But Padma’s sisters-in-law
surrounded us and started telling people off. On the way back, one of
Padma’s nieces I believe, told us that everyone was wondering how
they knew us, and how we came to be with them today. I really enjoyed
the whole experience! It was wonderful to be so included in the
ceremony and well cared for by many people I hadn’t met before.
The next morning we
took the participants out to one of our community partners; the
Muslim Girls Orphanage for a tour. Muslim children are considered
orphans if they don’t have a father. The MGO takes in girls and
also runs three schools. They run a school in Urdu, a school in
English and a polytechnic to teach young women skills that can be
used to earn an income. The schools will take children from the
community, although they have to pay to attend the polytechnic. It
was a very large and beautiful campus. The children were very
friendly and many of the older ones wanted to shake our hands.
In the afternoon I
led the Laxmi Road tour. We had three groups that went out. The Laxmi
Road tour is a tour of a historical and cultural market area. There
are also lots of shopping opportunities for people who are
interested. We always visit Kirti’s, the sari shop. I had a great
afternoon, as my group was fantastic. The chaos of Ghanesh festival
had subsided a bit, but I really enjoy Laxmi Road. It’s just so
busy! Going out with a group is fun, because you get to negotiate
traffic with a group of 10 ladies. I always find it really funny when
the occasional shop that’s selling jeans (or other western pants)
tries to sell me some. “Yeah, right. I’m dying of heat and stand
out enough as it is. Good try though.”
| Alandi |
| Alandi |
One the 30th
we took the participants out on another whirlwind tour of the
countryside. First we went to Alandi, which is a place on the river
where there are many temples. Mina was leading the tour and I found
it funny that at any time she had just as many rapt Indian listeners
as our own participants. It was also nice going out with Mina as she
was able to ask the children more complex questions for us. Such as,
why aren’t you in school? (They had a half day) why? (Because it’s
the last day of the month) is there a special reason for that? (No
idea). Next we went to Jagriti School for Blind Girls and got a quick
tour. They are building a new school and hostel, and all I can say is
they look like they need it. Afterwards we went to Tulapor, another
riverside temple spot. There were many children there as well, as
they had been shipped in for a drawing exam. Finally, we had lunch at
another community partner; Ishwari. Ishwari is a coop for rural women
to learn new skills and to support their independence. We had a
magnificent lunch there, before heading back to Sangam. In the
evening we had a pool party with local staff and participants. It was
fun, but I was getting sick and a tad homesick. I did play with
several children, some in the pool and a couple outside of the pool.
| Tulapor |
| Ishwari |
I was feeling better in the morning and was able to help say goodbye
to the group as they headed out at 9am. As it was the end of a
quarter, we had a stock take day. We pulled everything out of the
shop and counted it before putting it back. We took a break to go
over to Mina’s house for the event eval. Mina’s apartment is
beautiful. She showed us around her kitchen, showing us her spices
and other goods. We had delicious snacks there and then headed back
to finish up stock take. For dinner we had a family dinner, where Liz
and I were awarded our staff scarves, nametags and pins, as we
officially ended orientation! Late in the evening, the name of the 5th Guiding World Center was announced; Kusafiri, which is Swahili for journey or travels. We were very excited despite the sound not working for most of the live broadcast.
That brings me to
yesterday. In which we cleaned up from the event. Slowly starting to
look at our next event, which is the Birthday Celebration, From
Silver to Gold. I’m looking forward to my first event as a full
Sangam Volunteer!

1 comment:
Kaitlin, thank you for such a great entry. Most amazing couple of weeks you have had! Your sari is beautiful!
Post a Comment